Saturday 29 May 2010

iHandy Level

Price at time of writing FREE.

iHandy Level AppPrice FREE

Look I'm not going to spend a lot of time on this. There isn't much you can say about a spirit level.

This popular app (as advertised on TV too) has had thousands of downloads and thousands of ratings.

The variation between 1 and 5 stars is huge. The overall verdict being pretty evenly split between awful and excellent.

iHandy Level app reviewHowever, if used as the developer states, it certainly isn't a bad app.

Used "out of the box" the level may not be 100% accurate so the developer added a calibrate option so you can use a known accurate spirit level to rectify this. The accelerometer in every mobile/touch may differ slightly in it's initial setting so it is sensible to give this option. (I'll ignore iPad as I can't see anybody seriously using an ipad as a leveller). I have to say I haven't used calibrate and I found the initial level accuracy spot on, but perhaps I'm just lucky?

Some have said "If I want a level I'll go to my toolbox". Well yes, but if you only want a quick guide for a shelf you may not wish to go out to your shed/garage in the pouring rain or snow.

Graphically it's fine. How much glamour can you give a bubble for heaven's sake?

And hey it's free which can't be bad these days.

As far as I'm concerned this is a functional app from a developer who has been honest about how to use it properly for best results.

8/10 Available here iHandy Level Free

No comments:

Post a Comment